Noone has posted any comments here yet, why not be the first?
Storage - Laundry/Utility Room
Whether your washing machine is housed in a cupboard or you have a dedicated utility room, it’s essentially a functional space designed to free-up room elsewhere. Creating the storage which reflects your use of the room should be your goal.
This can be a great room to house bulk-buys such as washing powders/tablets and fabric softeners. Smart storage is your key to making the best use of space here.
- Existing cupboards. Make the best use of what’s already there. If the cupboards would benefit from adding shelves then this might be an option. Alternatively, if you have available space but no cupboards then perhaps this is worth considering.
- Collapsable laundry basket. When not in use, it simply folds away until you next require it. Some of these are compartmentalized to allow for separating white from coloured clothes.
- Wall racks to store detergents/stain removers etc. At a glance storage which allows you to access items readily.
- Bespoke racks for iron and ironing board. This means that the ironing board no longer gets in the way and the iron never becomes misplaced.
- Mop/brush holders. By fixing these to a wall and slotting the brushes and mops into them you are providing further floor space and preventing anyone tripping over them.
- Recycling bins. These are very often kept in the utility room, either in the form of the stackable variety, or the double or triple compartment type. Often the stackable ones use the least amount of floor space.
- Folding clothes horse/dryer. This is a no-frills solution which which just gets the job done. It can be folded out of the way when not in use, or possibly hung on a door hook. Other methods include pulley-operated clothes dryers which aim to make the most of ceiling space (particularly in small properties).
- Carrier-bag dispenser. These attach to a wall and hold a large number of bags. This is an inexpensive, space-saving solution.
- Utility bucket. Although this is a functional item, you can often find attractive or trendy versions of this old stand-by. As well as keeping your cleaning products together, it provides you with a mobile solution which can be carried around the home for those all important spring cleans.
Got a subject you want us to cover? Ask Bubsy!